Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Case of a Lifetime 201-228

Summary

Parole has become Kelly's only chooise of being released from prison. Kelly is no longer eligible for clemency after the 2003 denial due to the New York law that prisoners who are within 18 months of parole is are not allowed to seek clemency. In 2005 Abbe agreed to let Sarra Bennet lawyer out of New York take over Kelly's parole application. Sarra worked hard for Kelly and on April 21, 2005 Kelly's parole petition was granted. Kelly would be released with parole on June 13, 2005. On Kelly's release date, a welcome back party was held after 30 long years od being in prison.

Qutoe

"Then I had a painful thought: Kelly might have been releaed on parole if I had done absolutely nothing, if I had never come back into her life"(Smith 208)

Reaction

Even after the good news Abbe Smith recaps of her whole participation of Kelly's case and thinks of the worst. I feel that this is caused by the long duration and attempts of Kelly's freedom. As I read the book, I felt that Abbe Smith did do a good job on Kelly's case, and showed much determination and dedication to her work. Kelly's inncident is just one of those things witch she was with the wrong person. A person who commited the real crime, witch lead to the arrest of Kelly, and where there was not enough evidence presented to prove her innocent. Even though Kelly's time in prison was long, Abbe Smith still dedicated her career to the freedom of Pasty Kelly Jarret.

No comments:

Post a Comment