Summary
Abbe talks about how even though Kelly was wrongfully incarcerated, she never once blamed God or questioned his existance. "The longer she was incarcerated, the more faithful she became"(Smith 158). Abbe sometimes even felt suprised by the ammount of faith Kelly kept with her all throughout her sentence. In attempt for an early release of Kelly, Abbe helped her come up with a clemency petition that even Kelly was shure would grant her freedom. The petition was seven inches thick and filled with vital information about Kelly's case. On July 21 1998 the petition was denied. After it was denied, every couple of years Abbe would file a new clemency petition, updating it and adding new court records. Every couple of years the petition would be denied. The fusterated side of Kelly is shown a lot, and Abbe knows that sometimes Kelly feels she is letting her down, or even rising her hopes for nothing.
Even though Abbe has to keep a professional relationship with Kelly, Kelly's trial brings Abbe to be close friends with Kelly compared to her other clients. "I did things for Kelly that I didn't ordinarily do for other clients"(Smith 194). The fact that Abbe feels Kelly is innocent causes her to have a closer relationship with Kelly.
Quote
"Every once in a while she would throw up her hands and say it wasn't worth it-the effort, the emotion, the constant waiting-she should just do the same"(Smith 172).
Reaction
This section of the story starts showing more negative actions of Kelly to her case. Even though Abbe is working hard to try and find evidence of her freedom, you cant blame Kelly for her reaction. This is a women who had been sentence to prison for a crime she did not commit, and a sentence she will serve for the rest of her life. I would expect Kelly to have doubts that she is going to be released because time after time she has attempted to prove her innocense and has failed.
As I am reading, I imagine myself in Kelly's place. My reactions would aslo be negative just facing the fact that I might not be released from prison and will spend the rest of my life there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment